Monday, February 2, 2015

WEEK 3 ~ JANUARY 15-21, 2015

Dad and Cindy brought Mom to the nursing home on Thursday and we pray that the adjustment will be smooth. Transitions and new things are difficult for Mom, however, we are so very thankful for the room at a great nursing home so close to our home and while this will be a huge time of adjustment for Mom and Dad, we are very grateful for the many blessings and answers to prayer. Even though Mom is living in a nursing home, we are comforted that God our Father is always with her wherever she is.


Friday morning rolled around and we got Rowan early so we could begin our visits...we started with Kim's Grandpa and Grandma where Rowan "enjoyed" a coffee, he said he liked it but made quite the face when he tried it. I think he just felt very grown up to be honest and beamed with his mug in hand. We went to go visit Mom next and as expected, the transition was difficult and sleep was hard to come by. Kim, Rowan and I spent quite awhile trying to help her feel more comfortable. Rowan really enjoyed all the attention from the ladies in the home...he really is quite the ladies man :) We hope that Mom will soon settle in and become more comfortable in her new home. After the VMS kids got picked up and basketball practice was over, we had a quick supper and settled in to watch the highly anticipated movie Boxtrolls...for anyone who knows us, the kids watched the movie while Kim and I had a nap. We hear the movie was good though.


We had a few errands to run in London...Columbia outlet store for some coats, Bath and Body Works for some hand soap, a promised stop at Dollorama for Savannah, Costco for groceries, Lens Mills for material for Carsten's jester costume and probably a few more stops I can't remember. Kim and I visited Mom and she really needs to get some sleep as it has become really hard for her to function and she has fallen several times...until Mom is feeling better, she will be in a wheelchair. I am super thankful to Kim who has been a great help to me, the whole family and especially to Mom and it shows as Kim freely gets hugs and kisses from Mom. Thank you for everything you do Kim!!



After church, Kim, Mark and I visited Mom and even though she was still having a rough time, we had a good chuckle when a lady down the hall saw Mark dressed in a suit, she sang "There's a maaaaan down there".  After Mark left, Kim and I wheeled Mom down in her wheelchair to hear some young people from church sing hymns with some of the residents.


Monday morning started way to early with Carsten waking me at around 3 am because he had a bad headache. By 4:15, he had thrown up and settled back into bed. I brought Savannah to school and met Kim at the gym for a quick workout before heading back home to start the day with Rowan. Alex was  home with a Study Day for his exams and Rowan always seems to love it when he has a "big brother" at home to hang out with. We visited Mom later in the day and helped her with her supper. Today was a better day with Mom sitting in the wheelchair, but walking when we were there to assist her. So thankful for the small improvement we are seeing daily.



Tuesday was my sister Jenny's birthday and she celebrated the big 4-0...I wish that she has a day of relaxation and peace with a future that holds more happiness, joys, surprises and good times than she can imagine. It was another Study Day for Alex and Rowan took full advantage of having him home, convincing him to play a game of Pokemon. After visiting Mom, I slipped out to get some pictures printed to hang in Mom's room and also placed some of her things in the box outside her room...beloved salt and pepper shakers and a toll painted picture on slate that Mom painted a number of years ago. I also finally remembered to take the picture Carsten drew for Oma and hung it in her room. In the evening, Mark visited Dad while the boys were at Catechism and Young Peoples. I love the Tuesday nights when there is a hockey game on it's just me and Savannah...it's a special bonding time for us...unfortunately it ended early tonight when Savannah decided to put herself to bed and a short while later came back out to tell me she had a bad headache. 





I think with everything going on, trying to keep the house running, it has been hard on everyone...Mark and I have been trying to keep things as normal as possible for the kids, but I wasn't feeling great and was feeling emotionally exhausted...Yesterday, Kim and I declared Wednesday a chill day and Kim took good care of me. Alex had his first exam, so he was finally off to school again; Kim, Rowan and I had a great visit with Mom and we enjoyed a lady who played the guitar and sang. While visiting Mom, one of the staff asked who we were and if Kim was my daughter...anybody think we look alike? We were so thankful for the good day, Mom was having, walking around and resting in a comfy chair when needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment