Tuesday, March 29, 2016

WEEK 13 ~ MARCH 26-APRIL 1, 2015

Mark's dad was taken to the ER to find relief from fluid retention, abdominal swelling and difficulty breathing, which ended in him being admitted. We hoped this would be a short hospital stay and he would be able to return home once his condition stabilized. 

As Mark's family is spread over quite a distance, not everyone was able to be physically present daily so Mark took on the role of primary family caregiver for Dad, while Kim and I worked to ensure Mom settled well into Valleyview. Despite Dad's poor health, his primary concern each time we saw him was how Mom was doing and how her transition to the nursing home was going and was always visibly relieved when we could share a positive story about her day. 

Looking back, I stumbled across some notes reflecting on how thankful I was for a meal we were able to eat together as a family and it made me realize how thankful I was to have kids that were able to cook aka heat up "homemade fast-food out of a box" (as Savannah lovingly described our suppers). 

Uncle John, Aunt Sue, Ben and Caleb came from out west and a highlight was going bowling with some of the family, followed by Dairy Queen treats. 




Kim and I bought Red Wings tickets at the school auction and it was a welcome distraction from the craziness of life back home. I think Carsten and Savannah just enjoyed uninterupted time away with Kim and I. It made it all the more fun that our team won :)



No comments:

Post a Comment