Friday, November 4, 2016

WEEK 19 ~ MAY 6-12, 2016

Sometimes life is so busy, hectic and just plain overwhelming...it is good to get away from it all for a day or two. Kim and I were both in need of a break from the responsibilities and stresses of life and we had been counting down the days till we left for the Horseshoe Resort. 2 days and 1 night, it was so good to be away and relax... from sharing a dessert sampler at Hooligans (Peanut Butter Pie, Deep Fried Cheesecake and Mason Jar Chocolate Brownie)...to relaxing pedicures...to eating the best crepes ever at Chavo and even exploring a couple of flea markets... All I can say is thank you Kim for taking me with you to Barrie!







While Kim and I were away, the boys had a fun soccer game against the PRC Alumni and Savannah had her badminton tournament. I totally understand the soccer game on Saturday but I never get why the elementary school holds one tournament on a Saturday and it is always the badminton tourney. Mark Facetimed us so we could watch Savannah play a bit. 



I enjoyed spending Mother's Day with my family in church and relaxing at home (yes, Kim you are part of my family too). Time with Mom Koopman was special too with VV church, coffee time and it was even the week for the Calton Choir to sing. I did however come across an article I felt the need to share, as I know that there are many ladies that are hurting, especially on this day set aside for mothers. I would like to say to all women and mothers everywhere, Happy Mother's Day. (http://wearethatfamily.com/2012/05/the-other-side-of-mothers-day/)

The Other Side of Mother’s Day

     I sat in the back row of the church where my husband and I worked.  It wasn’t our normal spot. But this wasn’t a normal day. It was one I dreaded:  I was grieving.

     I kept my head down and silent tears splashed.  The choir sang, everyone dressed in their best. There was light-hearted joy in the room. I could sense it, but I couldn’t feel it. I tried to be invisible in my dark place, willing people to look away.

     I couldn’t stand the pity. And yet I longed not to be forgotten.

       It was Mother’s Day. And after three long years of infertility, I still wasn’t a mother.

     That was more than 15 years ago and while my dream of becoming a mommy came true, I don’t ever want to forget that this day filled with flowers and homemade cards is painful for so many women.

     I know many others who skip the day all-together–some because the relationship with their mothers is a raw wound others because their mom is gone and she left a space too large to fill.

     Last year after my kids served me breakfast in bed, I received a phone call from our dear Maureen in Kenya. Just three weeks after losing her 7 year old nephew, her only sister died. Sucker punch. When I remember that day, and the overwhelming helplessness and grief, I am reminded again of the bittersweet.

     If I’ve learned anything in the past two years working in a third world country, I’ve learned that woman are strong.

     And that we are all the same.

     We use spit to wipe a smudge, our hands to protect, our hearts to lead. We question, wonder, doubt and regret.  But above all, we dream. We long for a world without war, heartache, poverty, loneliness.

     We may be from a different culture, speak a different language, but no matter our circumstances, hope is always enough.

     To all the women and mothers everywhere, Happy Mother’s Day.

     I could feel her staring across the church, walking towards me. She inched closer and grabbed my hand. She squeezed tight. I held on and looked into her eyes. She never said a word, but the tears in her eyes said it all.

     Whatever place you find yourself, think of the woman on the other side.

     What to say When Words Aren’t Enough:
  • Give a warm, meaningful hug
  • Send a card, reminding her you remember
  • Ask her how she’s really doing. Wait for her to answer.
  • Use your past pain to help her thru her present
  • Don’t pretend she’s not hurting
  • Don’t tell her everything will be ok
  • Pray for the women in our world

This week we remembered the time a year ago that God carried us so near to Himself...a time of sorrow as Mark's dad passed away but also of joy that Dad was now with Jesus where there is no death, no sorrow, no tears. 
http://koopmanprojectlife.blogspot.ca/2016/05/week-19-may-7-may-13-2015.html


It was a pretty busy week with the regular day to day activities that we jumped back into... between helping coach track & field, chiropractor and orthodontist appointments, job interviews for the boys, babysitting, we tried to find a little more time to spend with Mom. One of the days, Kim, Logan, Olivia and I walked/biked to visit Mom/Oma...I think Oma liked Logan a lot better than Stella.


We have been wanting a trampoline for a loooooonnnnngggg time...ok, maybe Mark wasn't overly excited about it, but the kids and I were. I was delighted to buy a trampoline at Canadian Tire a few weeks back and "justified" it because it was on sale, used Canadian Tire money and I got $50 gift card back when I bought it. After Alex, Cailyn and Savannah put it up, everyone was itching to get on it, even Stella.





 We totally loved Stella but we were starting to wonder if we were not going to be able to be her forever home...between thinking we may not be home often enough for her and some potential allergies surfacing. We worried that we may not be able to keep Stella but took comfort in loving her til we knew she had a good home to go to.






No comments:

Post a Comment